Intelligent Solutions For North Carolina Business Law Disputes

Raleigh Law Homeowners Association FAQs

Last updated on June 24, 2024

For more than 25 years, North Raleigh Law has supported clients across North Carolina, with our lawyers protecting their interests within their communities. Here are some frequently asked questions about Homeowners Associations (HOAs) in Raleigh, North Carolina.

What is a HOA and what can it regulate?

A Homeowners Association (HOA) is an organization within a residential community that establishes and enforces rules for properties. It manages common areas, maintains property values and regulates aspects like architectural guidelines, landscaping, home maintenance, noise levels, parking and use of shared facilities.

What happens if I am delinquent paying my HOA fees?

If you are delinquent, the HOA will likely send reminders and impose late fees. Continued nonpayment can lead to legal action, including foreclosure. The HOA can place a lien on your property and foreclose to recover the debt. Communicate with your HOA to resolve payment issues promptly.

Can an association fine me or suspend my use of shared areas for breaking the rules?

Yes, an HOA has the authority to enforce its rules and regulations by imposing fines or suspending your access to shared amenities. If you violate community rules, the HOA can levy fines against you as a penalty. Additionally, your access to common areas such as pools, gyms and clubhouses can be suspended until the violation is corrected and any fines are paid.

Do members have the right to review HOA books and records?

Yes, members have the right to review HOA books and records. Typically, members can request to see financial statements, meeting minutes, governing documents and other records related to the HOA’s activities. The process for reviewing these documents may vary, so it is advisable to refer to your HOA’s specific policies and procedures regarding record inspection.

Get In Touch Today

Do not delay in addressing your HOA concerns. Call 919-944-4856 or send an email to schedule a consultation with an attorney.